Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pure joy

As always, lots to catch up on. But for now, I just want to tell the story of one of the happiest mornings I have had in my whole life. It was actually only about an hour out of the morning, but filled with enough happiness to last the whole day. And of the simplest variety possible: I went out with my son on a lovely day to buy him a new pair of shoes.

The J-dog and I left the house to stroll over to our neighborhood kids' shoe store, to buy him his next pair of shoes - the pair he will most likely take his first steps in. It was a beautiful spring day, one of those days where you get a first glimpse of the glorious spring weather that will soon be here. Daffodils and other spring bulbs are popping up all over the city, and flowering trees are starting to bloom. It was 70 degrees and blue sky - just perfect. We went to the store and were helped by a super sweet salesman. We got an adorable pair of shoes (I can't believe I actually spent $54 on a pair of shoes that will last a matter of months!!!) that will be perfect for his precious little growing feet. And as we were leaving, the nice salesman brought us out a balloon, which he affixed to the stroller in a position where the J-dog could easily see it and reach the string. We strolled back out into the gorgeous day and proceeded home. The little guy was completely ecstatic about his new balloon. He was jerking the string around, bouncing the balloon up and down and laughing out loud in excitement the whole time. Busy New Yorkers were actually stopping to look at him and smile. Pure joy. It was such a simple thing and yet I have never felt so happy in my whole life.

8 comments:

  1. I love this post. It made me happy right along with you. :)

    And I hear ya on the shoes - ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks so big in that stroller pic! And I feel guilty as we've not yet forked over the big bucks for the expensive shoes, ours are just running everywhere in the cheapie ones :)
    Your morning sounds perfectly perfect, and I love NYC in the springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive been lurking reading for a while, but this made me laugh, since we just did the same thing (at the same shoe store) on Saturday! The balloon was definitely a huge hit and is now tied to the high chair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cassie,
    how wonderful! i have had many of those moments, when a little thing tips the balance and an avalanche of joy overtakes you! what a wonderful thing :)

    i love how you take advantage of city life. these are great memories you are making, and such a special time for all of you.

    we haven't gotten "real" shoes yet- i don't even think there are any real shoe stores around here any more. especially not ones with balloons for the babes. jealous!

    i love reading your updates... i know you are busy and most importantly, enjoying life! so happy for you!

    -soulshine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cassie,

    This does sound like pure joy. I have a hunch there'll be many, many more moments like that to come! J-dog looks so big...wow...time flies! So glad to see you so happy!!!

    daisysmom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can hear the laughter way up here! Glad you are doing so well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been hiding reading for a time, however made me chuckle, because we just does a similar thing (with the exact same sneaker retailer) in Saturday! The balloon has been certainly a massive hit and is right now linked with the top easy chair!


    Cheap FFXIV Gil
    Runescape 2007 Gold

    ReplyDelete