Friday, April 6, 2012

Random ramblings

As I mentioned in my last post, of course there are lots of things to catch up on. I am constantly thinking of things that I need to write about here, and then just don't get around to it. The J-dog is keeping me on my feet. He is super-mobile and crazy active. Although not walking yet, he is a master crawler, and pulls himself up with ease. He also cruises, even with just one hand. But his stints at solo-standing only last about one second. So we'll see.

He also is not really saying any words but makes lots of sounds. He goes "brrrrrrrmmmm brrrrrrmmmmm" a lot, and not just associated with his little car. He also likes to click his tongue - we taught him that and now he will initiate click conversations. We reply with clicks and he gets a big kick out of it. Of course he is really good at the "mamamamama" sound, but only once or twice have I heard him stop at only two "ma's" where it actually sounded like "mama". Once was this morning, and he was repeating after I said "This is coffee for mama." So I am still waiting for the spontaneous production of the word with meaning.

I am constantly impressed with how good he is at playing by himself and keeping himself amused. Now that we have our living room baby-proofed to the gills, I can be in here on my computer while he plays. I am very proud of his independence. But I also love it when he crawls over to me, pulls up, and reaches his arms in the air to be snuggled. Or when he hands me a book and grunts.

It seems like I only just went back to work and now the semester is getting close to wrapping up. I only have one more month of school, and then will be back to having all my days with the J-dog. I actually have been enjoying working again, but this is the point in the semester when students start slacking off, so I get very frustrated with them and start looking forward to the end.

Amazing as it seems, the J-dog will be one year old in a few weeks! I guess I need to think about weaning, and I have very mixed feelings. I am actually amazed that I have made it this long and am still breastfeeding him 4 times a day. There are just 2 days a week when I am at work that he misses two of those sessions. He doesn't really take a bottle for the first missed session, but he does for the afternoon one, so I guess that dropping that late-morning session would be the natural thing to do, replacing it with a snack. I just can't bring myself to start doing that, even though I know that twice a week he does it and is fine with it. I think I would feel better about it if he were better at drinking from the sippy cup, but he still really doesn't take it. So far I have only been giving him water in it. I don't know if he would like it better if it were juice, but I am reluctant to start him on that. I am sort of waiting until he is a year so I can try milk. I guess he really is close enough that I could try now. Oh well.

So here is a final random rambling thought. I looked at all the people who follow my blog, and realized that I have no idea who most of you are! Most of the people who comment regularly aren't even signed up as "following" my blog, but I know you from blog land and the bulletin boards for you-know-where. But every now and then someone will come out of lurkerdom and comment on my blog (which I love!), but it makes me realize that I have an actual audience out there and have no idea how many there are, and who you are! I don't really have the right to complain about that, because I was a lurker for a long time in blog-land before I finally got the courage to speak up and start commenting, and then to start my own blog. I'm just curious. So if any of you want to pipe up and say hi, I would love it.

Ok, I'm off now. Today is J's birthday (I have two Aries men in my life!) and he is taking the day off. He is sleeping in now, and then I'm going to make him pancakes. I am mostly not a very good wife when it comes to cooking for him, but I want today to be a special day for him. Plus he mentioned a while ago that he wanted pancakes for his birthday... so how could I refuse?

9 comments:

  1. Hi!! You are in my Reader, so I don't know if that shows p for you as "following" but I am! And you "know" me anyway, i think by now, right? :)

    Happy birthday J, and happy soon-to-be-bithday J-dog! Enjoy your pancakes and day together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in my reader too.
    You are so lucky the little Jdog will entertain himself and let you work...I think because we have two, and they love to 'fight' over things we never can leave them alone regardless of the babyproofing. Our son likes to bite sometimes and so we can't have that happening. It is exhausting. We made a new playroom that I can see from the kitchen but even then, I feel like I am running in there every two minutes to make sure they're not about to go at it. Sigh.
    As far as the juice--I wouldn't even introduce it. We never have and other moms ahead of me have said they wished they never let their kids have juice because then it's all they want. We're water and milk only around here. We're still weanning a final bottle but our transition from bottle to cup went pretty smoothly but I have a feeling breastfeeding to cup is different. I'm sure he'll do just fine.

    Enjoy your hub's birthday! I'm sure he'll love the pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're in my reader too, so maybe we're all the ones you don't recognize - the ones following through readers?

    Anyway, I'll just say something about the milk and cup situation, and it seems like it still applies even though you're bf. my dr told us to only give milk in cups, never bottles, because when you wean from bottled some children refuse milk in a cup, and we have one of those. We have to force him to take 1 drink with his meals. So we're delaying dulling weaning from bottles bc w/o bottles he drinks absolutely no milk. I think our dr was right. We should not have let him associate the whole milk with a bottle.

    Oh and about juice. It's true, as soon as they taste it they want it ALL the time. Some of our big 18 month old fits are over "more juice" when I'm having to tell them no, after they've already had like 6 or 8 ounces! The stuff is addictive, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a follower. I don't recall when I started but its been a long time. Our little ones were born within days of each other. I guess I get nervous about commeting in general but I'm here to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a follower, a lurker if you will :-) I honestly can't remember how long I have been following you. Like another commenter I too get nervous about commenting but I am also here to say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great update...keep 'em coming when you can ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a friends, a new lurker as it were :--) My partner and i honestly cannot remember how much time I have been previously pursuing an individual. Just like one more commenter We as well get concern about placing comments however i feel also below to convey Hi there!
    D3 Gold
    RS 2007 Gold
    WOW Gold Kaufen Billig

    ReplyDelete