Monday, April 26, 2010

Here I am

After reading other people's IF blogs for over a year now, and becoming an obsessive poster on a certain IVF bulletin board, I have finally decided to take the plunge and start my own blog. Why now? Because I just failed my 5th IVF cycle in two years and need some help making sense of it all. That's 3 local cycles, and two at what is arguably the best clinic in the country, CCRM. Some of you reading this unfortunately know what it feels like to fail at the best clinic in the country, while many more have been so lucky as to find success there. And others still are checking in to see what to expect as you begin your own IVF journey. I'm not sure how much advice I'll have to offer, and I don't plan this blog to be an elementary introduction to IVF or CCRM. This is more likely to be the sometimes-bitter ramblings of a veteran, as the embryologist assisting with my last transfer called me. So I apologize if I am not as helpful as I could be, but I am writing this blog for me, in the hope that I will find some solace here, and maybe give some insight into the life of a regular 40 year old woman battling her ancient ovum.

Why did I choose this title for my blog? Well, it is in part inspired by the book of a certain famous RE, who just happens to be my doctor. But the truth is, I had already thought of that catchy title, "If at first you don't con.ceive", myself and was quite bemused when I discovered that super-famous RE had entitled his recent book the same thing. So I figured I would pick up where his title leaves off, since that is what I am doing. Interestingly, I just googled the title of my own blog, to see what other things are out there on the internets with the same name. I found an article called "Try, try again: What to expect from your second attempt at In Vitro Fertilization". HA!! I guess I should really call my blog "...try, try, try, try, try, try again", but that would just be ridiculous.

So anyway, here I am. Those of you who know me from the IVF world know that I just got word yesterday of my 5th BFN. (Well, technically it was only my 4th BFN because my third cycle didn't make it to transfer, but whatever...) So I am a little raw at this point, to say the least. My husband and I are trying to figure out our next steps, but I am hoping to try one more time with my own eggs, before possibly moving on to donor eggs. But right now, we have not been able to talk about it. And that is one of the things that pains me most - the impact this is having on our relationship. But I can't talk about that yet. That's it for today, and my inaugural post. Please do post a comment and let me know that you are following along. I'd love to hear from you.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Cassie,

    I am so glad you're doing this and I will be here reading every word.

    -aworre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie,
    I'm hooked already. I will follow you and offer support where I can.
    Rbk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! So glad you have done this. Good on you. I feel cheeky that I post this before Mrs InBetween gets a note in, but so sorry to hear your news and let us know if we can do anything at all. Following every word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogosphere. I'm sorry you have to be here...but know that I know what it feels like to fail twice at CCRM and do five IVFs overall. And it sucks, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey luv. Welcome to the blogosphere. I'm so sorry that it is ill fortune that has brought you here though. And I hope that you will yet succeed with your OE.

    (YM from IVFC)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassie, I'll be following. I love the way you write.

    okitoki (ivfc)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Cassie,

    I'm here and you're in my Google Reader. Welcome to blogging!!

    pie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs Inbetween (bigdog)April 27, 2010 at 8:34 PM

    Will definitely be following your blog and cheering you on. I hope you find writing a good outlet.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cassie, I will be following you as well. We're also vets at this and New Yorkers to boot. We've done 5 local IVFs and one so far at CCRM. About to go for our second fresh IVF out there in June. Welcome to the blog world. I look forward to following you.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just started a blog myself a few days ago- and thought I would see what else was going on out there in the Ivf world. I found you when looking up any words on ivf number 2. I am sorry about your disappointment - so recently. We are doing number 2 in India- next month. It is so hard to know when to end- and how to begin. again... http://loglady007.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete