Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Upside down....

...or should I say, right side up. The little guy is breech. The doctor is giving me until Friday to see if he'll turn on his own, but then I'm scheduled for an external version. And then, if that doesn't work, they want to do a c-section the following Friday (at 39 weeks), assuming he doesn't turn on his own during that week. I'm pretty peeved, and nervous. I know this happens all the time, but still. I'm going to go to yoga tomorrow morning and hope that some good poses will help, and will also ask the teacher for a recommendation for an acupuncturist who specializes in turning breech babies. I've been doing cat/cow pose at home, as well as "butt in the air" pose, whatever that is called. And pelvic tilts. And playing music down low with headphones. Will go do a cold pack up by his head and a warm compress down below in just a minute, when I get into bed. Any other thoughts?

I'm certainly not complaining too much, because this pregnancy has been pretty blessedly easy-peasy up to this point. But I really don't want to have a c-section, although several people have told me that it is just not that bad. And I know there is still time for him to turn. If he doesn't turn with the version, I think I might ask the doctor whether I can wait a little longer before doing the c-section, just in case he decides to turn on his own. I think they are just worried that if he hasn't turned by this week, he will be too big to do so.

Any thoughts?

9 comments:

  1. No suggestions it sounds like you are doing everything in your power! I hope the little guy decides to just turn right around!! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cassie...I feel for you. I don't want a c-sec either and this baby has been breech since day one as well. And they ALL tell oh don't worry lots of time for it to move...yeah well I think its getting a bit too comfy in that position now at 26 weeks! For me I just would like the satisfaction of doing something on my own (which an epidural!!) without significant medical assistance like a c-sec. Because God knows it took MAJOR medical intervention just to get pg so it'd be nice to experience something normal for once!! But not sure if your feelings are the same. Anyway, I feel for you...one thing our prenatal teacher said is to put your hands/head down the stairs with knees on the stairs above...I don't know...that one sounded kinda dangerous. She also said "scrub the floors!!". Anyway, for what its worth...I'd look into the acupuncture option for sure myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you little boy is stubborn, like my little girl was! She was breech pretty much the whole pregnancy, and never turned. I opted not to do the version, as I was too concerned about the complications, which seemed to me worse for the baby, versus c-section, which is worse for me instead. The c-section was no fun, but it wasn't the nightmare I'd envisioned either. If that's what it comes to, you'll get through it fine, I'm sure. See my blog around Dec 2010 for all my stressing about exactly this!

    I've read that moxa can help a baby turn, when used early enough (like starting around 33 weeks?). I didn't try it, but have heard others have had success with it.

    No matter which road you take to get there, you'll end up with a lovely baby boy, so keep your eyes on that prize. Once he is in your arms, you'll forget this stress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. See if you can find a chiropractor trained in the Webster technique. The adjustments are incredibly mild, and they don't touch your belly! It worked for me, but I did start earlier, at maybe 32 weeks (although I was carrying a whopper -- over 10 lbs of baby at birth). Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cassie,
    i just want to say that its always is tough to think about changing plans when you've been preparing for one way- but you know either way, cesarean or other, it is secondary to the goal- healthy baby! i say that only to take a little of the focus off the drama of the breech situation- i know lots of women who have found their selves in your position, and i guess in the end, the stress of breech planning paled in comparison to the outcome of holding their baby in the end. do what you safely can to flip that baby, and if not, cesarean it is! i've done both and both were unique! there is a website spinningbabies.com, and its a bit crunchy, but lots of women try to change a breech baby that way too.

    thinking of you! -soulshine

    ReplyDelete
  6. i also heard of chiropractors turning babies, too, like anon. sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things to try on your own. don't have much experience here, just wanted to wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cass, I hope the little guy cooperates & turns around for mommy. One of the ladies in my single moms group credits acupuncture with getting one of her twins to turn so I think that's definitely worth a shot. I have my fingers crossed!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope that Baby Boy turns on his own! Sounds like you are doing everything you can to give him the chance to cooperate. Probably the first of many stubborn moments! : ) Can't believe we are talking Delivery Day--Eeeek! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't get a choice and a c section it will be for me to maintain the health of the second baby. My sister-in-law did both and she liked the c-section better. I think it depends on the surgeon. I am not worried as my doc is very respected with "gifted hands". Plus, you get a brazilian!

    T

    ReplyDelete