Monday, April 4, 2011

Can't sleep...

I've been meaning to write another post for a while now, but it has been crazy. Right now I'm up in the middle of the night (morning really), with the worst.reflux.ever. I stopped taking Zan.tac because I was worried it was making me dizzy and fuzzy-headed, but this is a nightmare. Although I had been popping Tum.s all night, that just didn't help. So I got up to take some Zan.tac and am remaining sitting up until it kicks in.

So, we have been trying to find a beach place out on Cap.e Co.d for two weeks at the end of the summer. We are getting a late start on it, so of course the choice is limited for anything on the water. This is the first time we have ever done this, but are hoping to start a little family tradition and of course we'll want a little vacation by then. After much, much searching and stressing (I literally spent 12 hours combing listings and contacting people last Monday), I finally had a place that we wanted and was in contact with the owner, telling her we wanted the place. I was getting stressed because she didn't get back to me by email over the weekend, but J was telling me to relax, that we couldn't expect everyone to reply to email over the weekend (again, this was a private owner...) and that it would surely be fine. So of course now I got up at 3:30 and checked my email, only to find out that sure enough, the place had been rented. She also lists it with an agency, and they had booked the first week we wanted. That sucks. So now I'm back to the beginning, sort of. I'm revisiting the other contenders we had, and hopefully some of them are still in the running. But that was the last place up in the area we thought we really wanted to be, whereas we aren't as sure of the location of these other places. I just want to be on the beach though, so hopefully we'll at least get that. Talk about stress.

More stress: As you may recall, I am a college professor. I am taking the entire fall semester off and had lined up our current adjunct to teach my classes for me, plus needed to hire someone else to teach a few more courses in my discipline (I am the only full-time person who teaches it). It was going to be hard enough to find someone for those 2 extra classes, considering we pay adjuncts complete cr@p, but now I find out that the person who was going to take my classes is not coming back in the fall after all. (She has been adjuncting for us for a year, and found something that is more convenient and pays better - I can't say I blame her...) So now I have the added stress of finding not one but two people to cover my area in the fall. Ugh. Fortunately my colleagues are helping me out, but it is not going to be a fun process, especially if I want to be involved in the final selection process. Because I'm only going to be on campus for 2 1/2 more weeks! Yikes.

In other news, we went to our 2-day intensive childbirth class this weekend. We weren't able to go to the weekly ones in the evenings, so opted for this weekend-intensive instead, and it was indeed....intense. But good. We learned a lot and got to know a lot about how our hospital works. Plus we got a tour and filled out our pre-admission forms. Of everyone in the class, our due date is the earliest, and that really got me thinking about how we don't have much time left. I really could go anytime now!

Speaking of that, I am just over 36 weeks now. I owe you some pictures and J finally sent me a couple, though he still needs to give me some of the later ones with my sweet kitty before we lost him. But here's one from yesterday.


I'm definitely getting big, but people keep telling me how small I look for 36 weeks. I am measuring exactly on target, and as of last week's OB visit had gained exactly 20 pounds since the beginning of the pregnancy. Of course, I was already carrying an extra 10 pounds before starting IVFs three years ago, and the treatments put on another 10 pounds, so I had plenty of extra padding to start with. I'm looking forward to lots of walks with Mr. Bean in the park this summer. And hopefully some along the beach as well!

Ok, I'm hoping that the fire within me has subsided enough for me to go back to bed now. I've been up for 2 hours and that is not going to be fun tomorrow. Or should I say, today.

6 comments:

  1. Cassie...I feel for you. I stopped my Ranitidine as well on Thursday and am now on a different heartburn medication called Pantaloc since yesterday. It, like Ranitidine, is a Class B drug and is quite safe during pregnancy. The few days I stopped my Ranitidine (Zantac) were unbelievable horrible. So I feel for you. Pantaloc is a different type of reflux medication - just ask your doctor to consider putting you on a "Proton Pump Inhibitor" (thanks Iveta!). In one day I went through 1/3 of a bottle of Gaviscon and 6 Ultrastrength Tums with no relief so I feel for you. So sorry about the beach house...I hope you are able to snag a perfect one really soon. And soo sorry about the work coverage situation...truly frustrating. But run to your doc about some different hb medication...seriously. I am experiencing other symptoms less severe than when I was on Zantac but I was having them even off Zantac so I do think my new PPI drug is safe. One less discomfort. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, you look great! And I don't think too small, you look right on track to me.

    Sorry to hear about the reflux, but know it is time-limited. Literally, the moment you get Mr. Bean in your arms, the reflux goes away. Hang in there, and Tums it up!

    Good luck with your search for a summer house. We had the same idea (starting a new family tradition) and booked a place near us a few weeks ago. I hope you can find something so the tradition can begin. Maybe not the ideal house this trip, but you can still go, and scout places for next year.

    It's coming up soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just posting to say what a gorgeous bump! Definitely a photo to be kept for posterity. And Lady, if you were overweight when I met you last August, you must have been one serious stick insect to begin with. You were tiny!!! Nxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that heartburn sounds nasty. I hope it's improved since you wrote this.
    I hope you score a sweet rental on the Cape. What an amazing place. I love going there in the summer.
    I must say, you look gorgeous, darling. Absolutely gorgeous! And, what? 36 weeks!!! You're mere weeks from holding Mr. Bean in your arms. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very beautiful, cassie :)
    i think you look right on target too... when you get closer and the baby drops lower, you'll get all the 'omg are you due any minute?" comments.

    good luck with your cape rental quest! what a lovely thing to look forward to!
    -soulshine

    ReplyDelete