Thursday, June 9, 2011

Poor little bunny

I don't have much time for a long post, but want to try to be better about regular postings...
Mr. Bean has got a nasty case of eczema all over his beautiful little face. It started about a week ago and I thought it was baby acne. Then I thought it was a heat rash. Then I thought he was allergic to the detergent in my clothes (we only use the fragrance-free stuff on his, because we have to supply it separately to the laundry place where we send our stuff). Then I took him to the doctor who said it's eczema and that I should eliminate all dairy from my diet. Woof. I'm a real milk, yogurt, ice cream, cheese person (especially because I don't eat any red meat), so that will be hard, but I do hope it helps. Because he looks really, really pathetic. It's so hard to look at that sweet little face all covered with nasty red rash and crusty spots. Ugh. Does anyone have any experience with this? And how likely is it that it is really diet related? Of course I've been Goo.gling like crazy, but would welcome any anecdotes (and antidotes!!!!).

On the up side, tomorrow is our five year wedding anniversary. What a long and strange five years it has been. We are leaving the little one at home with my mother-in-law and going out for dinner at my favorite restaurant down in the West Village, and then are staying overnight at a decently nice (but not 5 star) hotel. I'm so excited! I've been diligently storing up enough milk to allow us to do so, and now even have enough to buy us breakfast in bed. I know I will miss him like crazy, but it will be so nice to have an evening out, a romantic night with J, and to sleep the whole night! I'll give an update in a few days.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no Cass! I hope the no dairy will help his eczema too. But from one dairy lover to another I can imagine the sacrifice. Enjoy your romantic night out! So much to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, hopefully the diet changes will help. I had terrible eczema as a kid (and also allergies and asthma--classic triad) but I just remember having to use all this super thick greasy cream all the time. It wasn't on my face, just behind my knees and in the crooks of my arms. At any rate, I have no idea for babies.

    Have a great date night at the hotel!! Wish I were in NYC :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! So sorry he has eczema. my BFF's 2/3 kids have it and also have many food allergies that were first diagnosed around 2 months. The middle child is allergic to dairy, eggs, soy and some other things. My friend was able to continue BFing and adjusted her diet. Her youngest is also allergic, although she needed to stop BF as he was too sick even with her food adjustment. Insomhope your son feels better once you cut out dairy, but if not please get him allergy tested. If you have any questions, I'm here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassie I've no direct experience on this one but know that cow's milk can cause inflammation in adults so it may be the culprit here (Randine Lewis recommends goat's milk or sheep's milk for IF ladies). Different point I know but may be analogous. I also wanted to wish you a very Happy Wedding Anniversary and a very special time with your DH. I know you will miss your little one but it's so important to spend time tgether as a couple and savour where you are. I was glad to see from your comments on Mrs MTL's blog that 10 June can be a happy day too Nora xxx

    ReplyDelete