Monday, July 18, 2011

Three months!

I can't believe that the little guy is already 3 months old. Time really flies on the one hand, but I also feel like he has always been a part of my life. It's amazing how he just fits right in.

There is lots going on. He is so much more interactive, he is "talking" and smiling and laughing a lot. He has discovered his hand, and will watch it coming towards his mouth until he crosses his eyes. That freaks me out!

We are working on sleeping. I didn't realize there was so much involved in sleeping, and that he was going to have to learn how to do it! Mostly he is a very good sleeper, and he goes for very long periods at night. In fact, on Friday night he slept for 11 hours straight, without even eating! I couldn't believe it. Since then he has been back to waking up at 5 for a feed, and then again around 7, so I don't think we can count on the 11 hour thing. He goes right down for a morning nap very easily, but he struggles with the afternoon naps. This afternoon he has already had two short naps and is now dozing off in his swing again as I write. I should pick him up and put him in his crib for his nap, but I'm afraid he will get all fussy again. He is still too young for "sleep training", with the crying, so I figure I'll just let him sleep when he wants to sleep and hopefully the naps will sort themselves out. If not, we'll do the training when he is closer to 6 months. I am planning to take him on several trips before then, so I think that any progress we make will be messed up by our travels anyway. (Ok, I just went and put him down in his crib - we'll see if that lasts...)


I really also can't believe that the summer is halfway over, and am so glad that I am taking the fall semester off. I can't imagine having to leave my baby any time soon, though I know that many moms don't have even as much time as I've had already. I never thought I'd say it, but having this little guy makes me think that being a stay-at-home mom wouldn't be the end of the world. But we'll see if I still feel that way in a few more months.

Ok, he's crying again. Another nap in the crib foiled...

5 comments:

  1. I know...the words "sleep training" never even entered my vocabulary until just recently. Of course my LO is too little yet but I am learning all about it too. You sound so soo happy Cassie...enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see an update from you. Happy the baby is doing well - despite the sleep issue. Thanks so much for the advice on the book and offering to send it to me, I'm going to pass as my sister gave me something similar. But still, very sweet of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 months already!! So great - now you enter what I think is the super-fun, interactive, amazes me baby stage. The sleep stuff will evolve as he gets older, it is part of the maturation process. And he's been a pretty good sleeper so far it sounds like, so the naps will work themselves out. I will say that at about 4 months I read the "healthy sleep habits" book and found the nap timing part very helpful. i haven't used everything he says, but the timing of morning, early, then late afternoon naps was dead-on for my little girl. Give it a skim, in your free time (haha).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are all doing very well. Glad to read it, Cassie. Being a mom is something you've far too long waited for. I'm glad you are enjoying it so much.

    ReplyDelete