Friday, January 7, 2011

Frustrated - UPDATED

I finally made the trek over to Des.tination Mat.ernity in mid-town Manhattan yesterday. That place is huge and a bit overwhelming. The sales associate who was helping me was super nice and patient, especially considering I tried on over 20 pairs of pants and only bought one, plus two camis. I have a very hard time finding pants to fit in general, so I suspected that this would be difficult. But since the maternity jeans I bought (Oh Baby by Moth.erhood at Ko.hl's) fit me so great, I was optimistic. Anyway, I usually buy petite pants, but I'm curvy so I have a hard time finding ones that fit my curves. Almost all of my dressy pants are from Ann Tay.lor or ATLo.ft. I even asked for a gift card from Lo.ft for Christmas from my mom, so I could buy pants from their maternity section. But right now they have their basic dress pants only in a size 16. Whatever. So it was off to maternity mecca for me. I'm particularly picky about the size and placement of back pockets, to minimize my large butt, and all the pants I tried had these small, high pockets which are the kiss of death. But I finally realized that every maternity top I have is going to cover my butt almost completely, so it really doesn't matter. The one pair I ended up liking the best were only $29, so that really isn't that big of a deal. They only had black (I would have liked gray as well...), so I have a feeling I'll be wearing my nice dark jeans to work quite a bit this semester. It is totally fine, and I only have to teach twice a week (three classes all on Tues/Thurs) so I don't need too many outfits. So I should be pretty much set.

Pretty exciting stuff, huh? In other news, I go next week for my glucose tolerance test, to see if I have gestational diabetes. I'm not looking forward to getting blood drawn three times in three hours (once fasting, then one hour after drinking a super-sugary drink, then two hours after...) but do want to know if this is a problem. I know I have been eating way more sugar than I should, and strangely, I hardly gained any weight since a month ago, which is especially concerning considering the holidays were in there, when I ate a lot and didn't walk much. Weight loss while eating a lot is a symptom of diabetes. Otherwise I feel fine though. And I have gained about 11 pounds total since the beginning of my pregnancy. So we'll see.

Oh yeah, I forgot something important. Today we are at exactly 24 weeks, which is a big milestone. That is supposedly the important week to get to for viability; if Mr. Bean were born now (heaven forbid), he would most likely be ok. Of course I'm hoping he'll stay in there as long as possible, but this is certainly a big relief.

12 comments:

  1. Good luck with your GD test next week! I hope it goes well! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for viability!!! It is a HUGE milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you reached a milestone AND found some good pants :) Good luck drinking the sugary drink, hope you don't have any sugar-betes :) (this is what we call it when we're joking around about our patients :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cass...congrats on the milestone!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you made the mark. Do you have the store called, Motherhood Maternity by you?

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. T - Destin.ation Maternity is actually a megastore that combines Mother.hood Maternity with Pe.a in the Pod, as well as their Eda.mame Spa and some other stuff. So I was on the Mother.hood floor, but they were bringing me stuff to try on from both places. The pants I got were Moth.erhood - the least expensive of the line. I hope they will hold up for the next 3 months or so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on reaching 24 weeks!! I know I'm late, but congrats too on finding out it really is a Mr. Bean kicking away in there. :-)Good luck with the glucose tolerance test.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it was a mission accomplished over at the maternity store (even without a nice pair of gray pants...perhaps Loft will get their stock in soon). I hope the GD test goes well and doesn't make you feel yucky. Let it be negative.
    And 24 weeks! Wow! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's amazing how difficult it is to find clothes! i think that way for regular clothes...i can imagine maternity!

    good luck with the testing. sure hope you don't have GD. congrats on the 24 wk milestone! i bet that gives you comfort. it seems like your pregnancy is moving along so fast! how exciting for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete