Monday, January 24, 2011

A fun weekend

J and I had a nice little outing on Saturday night. We went to see Lyle Lov.ett and John Hi.att in an acoustic show at the Beac.on Theater on the Upper West Side (not far from where we live). Although I am not at all a country music fan, I am a huge Lyle fan. His music is much more varied than country anyway, and he is just so funny. I was first "introduced" to him when I lived in Austin, and have probably seen him in concert 7 or 8 times in the past 13 years, 4 times alone since moving to NYC. All the other times I've seen him with his Large Band, which is fantastic. But this acoustic show, with just him and John Hi.att, and their guitars, was really wonderful. They had a fun little banter going between them, and as I said to J, I would pay money just to listen to Lyle tell stories. He has such a dry sense of humor and his way of talking is riveting. But the music was really wonderful. So we really enjoyed it. And although as you'll recall from earlier posts, Mr. Bean has been to a number of concerts so far, but this would have been the first one he could hear, so I'm happy about that since this one was my choice. (Not that I didn't enjoy the other ones as well...) It was also my birthday celebration, although a little early since my birthday is this coming weekend.

To add to the celebration, we went out for dinner beforehand. I chose a cute little Italian place in the neighborhood that I had passed by several times and thought looked fun. It was very tiny and cramped, typical of New York restaurants. I had to squeeze behind a tight little table, and as I was trying to get in, I looked at my belly, looked at J and asked him to please pull the table out a little further for me. The woman at the table right next to us caught my eye and smiled, laughing a little. I laughed too, and it was really fun. Later, she asked me when I was due, and we chatted a bit with the couple, and their 24 year old daughter. It was the first time that someone had identified me as a pregnant woman and engaged with me about it. I was pretty thrilled, although it still seems kind of surreal.

Today I had planned to go to my yoga class this morning, but it is currently 6 degrees here in NYC, so I'm not going anywhere! I'll try not to feel too guilty about it. I'm very ready for spring to be here, in more ways than one!

11 comments:

  1. Love that story about the restaurant. Spring is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so sweet to know you are now being identified as a pregnant person, and that the 'mr.bean' could hear the music! i am thrilled for you!! love the updates! stay warm... brrr! oh, and have a happy birthday!

    -soulshine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lyle Lovett too--we've seen him with the Lage Band many times...Glad you had a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Happy birthday!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great date night! Maybe Mr. Bean will share your affinity for Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt! It must have been surreal (but wonderful) to finally be identified as a pregnant woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was a nice "first" you had in the restaruant this weekend. :)

    my dh goes to the beacon ever year with the guys to see the allman brothers. they actually stay there, too. glad you three had fun at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh to the lady at the restaurant noticing your baby bump. :-) Glad you had a great weekend. Happy birthday!!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it awesome to be acknowledged as pregnant by a total stranger? I had the same first happen to me at a grocery store last week and I started blushing! Glad you had an awesome date.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad little Mr. Bean is continually exposed to music. It sounds awesome for him, and for his parents. It's a wonderful scene you describe in the restaurant, Cassie. Enjoy these wonderful moments of connection over your pregnancy. Sounds delightful.
    I'm a big yoga fan. I hope you are enjoying your class, when the weather permits you to attend.

    ReplyDelete