Thursday, July 15, 2010

Crisis averted

Thank you all so much for the helpful suggestions about the nurse, but I think things will work out ok. I agree with what someone said about it being a small department, so even if I switch, it would be hard to avoid her. And we did talk yesterday and had a very nice conversation. She was really helpful in giving me potential dates for the retrieval, and also said she would see what could be done about the communicables testing. We talked about our potential travel dates and it looks like my husband will go out there on the 2nd of August. I will probably not go out until the 5th. We want to save some money on cat sitting, which is expensive since someone has to come in twice a day to give my oldest cat his insulin injections and thyroid pills. Plus I want to stick around a little longer with the cats since we will have just moved in a week before and I don't want to stress them out too much.

Also, J. is planning to come home on the 8th, which will most likely be before the transfer. He's got a pretty big thing going on at work that week that could be important for his future at the company, so we both agree that it is good for him to be there. (Our new apartment is a lot more expensive than where we are now, so if this is something that could lead to a promotion and a raise, it would be foolish to miss out on that opportunity.) I am not entirely thrilled with the prospect of going through the transfer alone, though I don't mind doing bedrest alone. Maybe he'll be able to stay a little longer, but I doubt it. For now he has booked his ticket, but could change it if necessary.

I have not booked my ticket yet. I'm waiting to get the final word from the nurse about the communicables and also the other appointments we are supposed to have (signing consents, re-group with doctor, etc), to make sure I can fit them in. And then we have to decide about the hotel. Although we really love the Homewood, and it would be more convenient to make regular reservations so we can alter them as necessary, we might bid on Priceline to save money. Or maybe Hotwire. I'm torn, because I'd also like to know that we are getting a suite with a kitchen and you can't always know that on either of those sites. But between the 2 of us we are going to be there for more than a week, and that could really add up. Any suggestions?

By the way, our donor is starting Lupron on the 21st and her stims on the 25th. Because of this, the nurse said the earliest possible date for retrieval would be the 3rd, but it could be as late as the 6th or 7th...

**********

In other news, I parked in the "Expectant Mothers" parking at the grocery store yesterday. It was pouring down rain, so I didn't really notice the sign until I'd pulled in. For about a half a second I thought about pulling out and finding another spot, and then I said, WTF, I have a right to park here. I know other people have written about this on their blogs, but it is true that I AM an expectant mother. And I don't think anyone would have really questioned me, as I'm a little puffy in the belly area right now and was wearing a pretty flowy top that could be seen as covering a pregnant belly. I also needed to buy some more pre-natal vitamins, so I had those in my cart to wave at anyone who looked at me funny.

*********

Finally, we got the results from the rocket ship test. (Aka: sperm fragmentation) The nurse said they were "fair to good", so the doctor might want to do IMSI to make sure we get the best sperm. I wonder if that would have made any difference if we had done it in past cycles. But anyway, I'm glad there isn't anything majorly wrong on that side of things and I feel even better about moving forward with DE.

8 comments:

  1. UGH, that parking spot makes me so mad, all the time. Glad you parked there. Wow, things with the cycle seem to be moving fast, so excited that you got some answers from the nurse. In terms of hotel, I would want to know where I'm staying - especially for bedrest, I would really want a comfy bed, but that's just me.

    Good hear the sperm was ok. What is IMSI, how is it different from ICSI? We always did ICSI even though our sperm was always good because I was too scared to go so far and then not fertilize anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMSI is where they use a high power magnifying microscope to pick the best swimmers. Then they do ICSI as well. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just do it all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried and tried to get communicables testing wherever I lived before, but to no avail.

    Glad the nurse is better, but beware that things cold revert. I am pretty sure that after our talk, things still weren't as great as I would have hoped.

    IMSI costs more money and I don't know if people are willing to pay more. This is a relatively new option.

    I don't see how you could beat Homewood at $89 CCRM rate a night. I have stayed at other hotels and there is no better value. I didn't rent a car. The breakfasts were delicious, healthy, and filling. The location was awesome, the pool was great, the beds were so comfy (unlike any hotel I've ever stayed at there), the dinners were great (M - TH) and no other hotel compares, two televisions, and I could go on and on. I was there for a tranfer alone and they brought up food for me and took real good care of me since my husband left early too.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear things are better with the nurse and that you were able to make some travel plans.

    We stayed at Marriott TownePlace for our ER, and Marriott Residence Inn for Transfer. We wanted to have a kitchenette, so we didn't risk priceline. We did do priceline for the ODWU and ended up at a nice place, too. I was just too nervous to do it for er/fet since plans can always change.

    Good luck with the move and getting the kitties settled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassie, I'm glad you had a good chat with your nurse. Hopefully now that she "knows" you a little bit, she'll be more cooperative.

    Since you're going to be alone after transfer, I'd seriously consider staying at the Homewood Suites since I'm sure if you needed something, they would happily help you out.

    I felt like doing a fist pump when I read that you parked in the expectant moms spot. You're right, we ARE expectant moms.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...technically you are an expectant mother until proven otherwise...so I don't see anything wrong with using the spot?!

    Great to hear you've been able to improve communication from your nurse....all the best to you.

    And great news on DH's sperm frag test. Sounds like they've got a plan and a technique to make sure the best ones are used.

    Happy Packing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought about the spot thing and hope that no one you know saw you as someone might say something and think you already are pregnant and spread gossip. Baby doll shirts look horrible on me and if I wear them people think that I look pregnant. My cousin saw me in one and asked me if I had something to share because I was wearing maternity clothing. Ugh!

    T

    T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Add me to the list of people GLAD you parked in that spot! Besides, when you get pg this cycle, you would have already "been" pregnant at this point (I think...?) Whatever, it's yours for the taking! You'll be in Denver before you know it!

    ReplyDelete