Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Power struggle

That's what I'm having with my nurse, I think. I think she thinks I'm a difficult patient. I have had wonderful relationships with my past nurses, but this one is rubbing me the wrong way. She is vague in her emails and only gives a minimum of information. I know that she can't tell me when retrieval will be - I understand this. I have had 6 retrievals. I know that you cannot predict when the trigger will be. But I have a bunch of questions for her about the process and the timing (not the specific dates mind you, just the way the timing will work) and she seems to want to only deal with me by email. That's fine I guess, but it would be a lot more efficient if we could just have one 10 minute conversation. The only time I've ever spoken to her on the phone was last week when she called with my P4 levels and said that she wanted me to start Lupron that night. I knew that my P4 check would give an idea about starting Lupron, but didn't realize it would mean starting the Lupron that night. She didn't give me a heads up before, so that meant that I had no Lupron. Why didn't she tell me to get the Lupron ahead of time, so I would have it in case I needed to start it on that day? Instead she had to call in the prescription to a pharmacy in Manhattan near where I happened to be shopping at the time. So the only conversation we've had was with me standing on the corner of 73rd and Broadway saying, "I think there's a pharmacy near here that sells fertility meds - you could try calling them...." And she neglected to tell me on that day that J and I both had to start our antibiotics that night as well. I didn't find out about that until today when I got my calendar.

Yes, I got a calendar today. I guess I should have mentioned that. It has us flying out to Denver on August 1 and me having a lining check the next day. Also the next day J is supposed to give his back-up sample. Except that we already have one frozen out there, which I'd mentioned to the nurse before. And I know that I could have my lining check done locally - I've always done that in the past before my transfers. I would like to minimize the amount of time that we both have to be out there, so we don't have to pay too much for hotel and also for cat sitting, which will be an arm and a leg in Manhattan. So I wanted to talk to the nurse about the calendar. I asked her to please call me tonight so we could discuss some possibilities. She blew me off. She sent me an email asking me to review my calendar and that she would call me tomorrow. That really rubbed me the wrong way. I have been with this nurse for a month and have spoken to her once for less than 5 minutes. I am not a bitchy, needy patient, but I would like to have the opportunity to speak with my nurse about this cycle so I know what is going on. Is that too much to ask? Is this just the Loopyron talking?

I realize that I have not been entirely coherent, nor have I fully explained all my frustrations, but I just wish it weren't so frustrating and hard to get some information. Maybe I have been spoiled by my previous nurses who would call me and patiently answer all my questions. But this one seems overworked and unable to deal with me. Ugh. Ok, rant over. I'm going to see if I can talk my sweet husband into going out for some ice cream. Let's see how this goes over...

10 comments:

  1. Ugh...well where I come from I'm used to overworked health care professionals so I just let it roll off me. But I expect that when I pay for it to have better communication. Sorry for the extra frustration. But for me...I just don't trust any of them so I tend to be quite needy by sending an email every day and I don't even have a calendar yet?!! But I need so much info in advance to coordinate with my locally overworked health care people. But hoping for better cooperation days ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, I can talk to you at length about this. Does the nurse start with a K? If you don't like your nurse, see if you can get another one. There is no reason why you shouldn't be happy. If you want to send me an e-mail, send it to R and she can forward it to me. Sorry, but I can't be public on here - wish I could.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem about being public T, I understand. As I said near the beginning of my blog, Cassie is not my name and this is anonymous for me too. That's interesting that you can relate to my problem. Yes, the name starts with that letter. It's just so strange because I've had such great nurses before. But now I realize that's not always the case. And this one seems to wait until the last minute to order meds, which for the donor meds means I am paying to overnight the shipments. Or running around Manhattan in a heat wave to get something for myself. What would I have to do to get a new nurse? Would I have to ask her? I don't know if I want to switch or just try to figure out a way to work with her. But at least this means I'm not necessarily being difficult...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! NURSES! (snicker snicker, since I'm an APN). I hope you get a new one, asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk to Kelly - the nurse manager. Another counselor can request as well. Let her know that K----- is not working out for you and you need someone who is not so last minute and does a better job at communicating. Ask to see if you can get another one. Marsha is the best one there, but she is IVF. I don't know any other DE nurses besides K. You don't need that. If you had a good relationship with another nurse there - ask to see what they can do.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again T,
    As you can see, I added a way to contact me on the side of my blog. I just created an email account for the blog, in case anyone wants to send me a private message: TryAgainCassie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, Cassie, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. As if moving and preparing to cycle aren't stressful enough already. There's just no excuse for her not to be more on top of things. My first thought was that when she called tomorrow, I'd try to politely discuss my concerns with her; however, from T's comments, it sounds like this nurse may just be a bad apple so I'd consider asking for a new nurse. My gosh, you're spending $30K for this cycle, the least you deserve is a nurse that's on top of things.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cassie- I didn't think we had the same nurse, but mine starts with a K also. I found that yes, they do do best with email, and at the beginning my relationship was a bit different than my IVF nurse, but over time (we have now been together almost a year) it has gotten MUCH better. I hope this for you too. If you want, send me an email or pm and I will let you know if it is the same nurse and some tricks I have learned.

    I also think the DE department is not a big as the IVF so switching may still mean that you have contact with this nurse so might be awkward.

    YAY for a calendar though! You are getting really close now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Request a new nurse. Contact their patient liaison and explain that your communication styles don't mesh well, and you'll do better with a new nurse. For everything you are putting into this - financially, emotionally, physically - you don't need this additional stress.

    Yay for finally getting a calendar!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My source says that you should ask for Cheryl. She is the best DE nurse.

    T

    ReplyDelete