Monday, September 27, 2010

Weaning off the meds

I have been slowly cutting down on my estrogen (Vivelle patches and Estrace) and progesterone (Endometrin) supplementation. On Saturday I cut down to just one Vivelle patch every other day, and had been doing one Endometrin at night, as well as one Estrace. Today my estradiol is 583 and my progesterone is 24.06. The nurse said I could stop the Endometrin and Estrace tonight, just doing one Vivelle patch every other day. I'm nervous about stopping the progesterone altogether, but I guess I have to trust her. It's just scary! I will get checked again on Wednesday, though I have to go to the slow lab again and won't get the results until Thursday. That is because the slow lab is in the same building as the ultrasound place and we go for another one of those on Wednesday as well. We are both really nervous. J is particularly stressed out. I think we are going to have to get one of those home doppler machines so he can hear the heartbeat whenever he is freaking out. I wish he didn't feel such anxiety and I hope he will be able to relax more as time goes by. But neither of us can still really believe this is happening to us.

I've been super busy at work and really should be grading bad freshman papers as well as preparing a lecture for tomorrow...so here I go...I guess. I'll report back on Wednesday after the ultrasound. I'm curious as to what we will see of Baby B. It makes me a little sad to think about it.

10 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine how scary weaning off the meds is! Thinking of you and your next u/s. Good luck with grading.. I have some of that I should be doing myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the bloodwork and ultrasound are ultra-reassuring! Happy Grading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping everything goes well!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, the code I entered was one "i" away from sailing. Hope that is good karma!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck for Wednesday, and yay for weaning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on Wednesday! Hopefully a great ultrasound will help J's anxiety a bit. I've been thinking that if I'm ever lucky enough to become pregnant that a doppler will be a must too.

    I'm sorry about Baby B. :-( He/she was a little fighter to make it as far as he/she did.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are weaning off the meds! I hope the u/s + b/w go as expected this week. So sorry about Baby B. I can imagine that would be very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must feel so strange to be weaning off the meds. I guess you are nearing the end of the first trimester and the placenta is pretty ready to do the work that the meds were doing. YEAH!
    Good luck with getting the marking done quickly. I hope there are gems in there (brilliant ones and hilariously awful ones. Both kinds make marking interesting, I find).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally get the weaning fears - I just could not believe/trust that my body would kick in and do things correctly! But it sounds like you are weaning perfectly, so trust as much as you can. And remember, CCRM is so much more rigorous than most clinics, with all the weaning monitoring, so you are really in the best hands. Most clinics just tell you to stop at some point, no monitoring at all. Now that's scary!

    Good luck at the u/s Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So wonderful to read you are weaning yourself off the drugs - another important milestone. Hoping your anxiety will subside after your ultrasound tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete