Sunday, June 6, 2010

From no news is good news, to better late than never

Well they did call me today with my Day 3 report from yesterday. Indeed it is their policy to no longer call on Day 3, at least for those of us who are doing the CCS testing. Anyway, here's the news:

All 8 are still going (the 5 originals and the 3 Day 2 ICSIs), though some are probably out of the running. Of the Day 1 bunch, I have 2 8 cells that are both a grade 3 (around 25% fragmentation) and a 7 cell that is a grade 3+ (15-20% frag). Then a 3 cell and 5 cell that she didn't give grades for, but they are probably too slow.

And from the Day 2 ICSI group, these were the cell counts yesterday, which technically was only Day 2 for them: a 9 cell and a 7 cell (yikes! That is too fast, so that is not good) and a 2 cell (a little too slow). I guess they all should have been around 4 cells yesterday. What's with the mutant fast-growers??

Just to put it in perspective, last time my only 8 cell was the only one that made it to blast, and it had 20% fragmentation. It was ultimately graded a 4 BB, so I guess these ones would be not quite as good. I don't know if they can improve in quality as the become blasts. Last time I also had a 7 cell on Day 3 with 0% fragmentation, but it didn't make it to blast.

So now I wait until Tuesday to get the final report on how many make it to blast and will be biopsied and then vitrified. And then the long wait begins. The last two times we have received our testing results in about a month. Sometimes it can take up to 6 weeks, but I hope that won't be the case.

We are also thinking about starting the ball rolling for the donor egg process, because if this doesn't work we don't want to lose any time. I'm not sure how fast that process can be, but I'm sure R. could chime in here. Also, we are trying to decide whether to go to CCRM for donor egg, or go back to our local clinic to do it. We are also near Cornell, but I think it would take too long to get established as a patient there, so the choice is between either our local clinic (IRMS - St. Barnabas, for those of you familiar with this area) or CCRM. If we do a fresh transfer, I don't see much difference. But if we get a lot of extra embryos and want to freeze, I would definitely feel better about using CCRM. Thoughts? (I think I know where the bias in my readership lies!)

5 comments:

  1. I am glad that there were able to mature 3 more on day 2. And looks like your Day 3 report is looking good too. Hope the trend continue and you have enough blasts to test.

    Regarding the donor cycle, I bet your local clinic would be a lot cheaper... but look at their stats and compare them to CCRM's. That might help with the decision making process.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looking forward to follow your journey too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still hopeful that your embryos will will turn into rockstars! Can't wait for the day 5 report. Good luck with the wait, it can be hell.

    As for DE, I won't comment on where you should do it. There are pros and cons to both. DE is really difficult in Canada as it is illegal to pay donors so many clinics don't do annon, so my decision was pretty easy.

    In terms of turn around for DE, I had already spoken with the dr about my next steps so there was already a plan in place for me. Once I got my BFN, my new DE nurse contacted me to get the ball rolling. We had to fill out our profile and have a psych consult (we did it over the phone to save time). Once those were done, we were given the password and started "shopping". For an in house donor pool there are a lot, but not compared to an agency. The process to select a donor is a fast or slow as you make it. Every Thursday they add new donors to their pool. It is a first come first click process. You can see general things on the website now (eye and hair colour, height and race and if they were previous), but the rest of the 20 page profile is blocked. Once you pick a donor, she starts the BCP with her next period. Depending where she is in her cycle will determine your timeline. I would say on average it is about 1-2 months after selecting that you are actually cycling.

    I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please ask!

    FYI- I really hope you do not need to go down this road, but now looking at from the other side, for me it was so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your day 3 report looks good! I have no idea about the fast growers...it will be interesting to see how they finish up. Hopefully one of those little buggers will be your full grown billions of cells little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive heard st. barnabas is excellent. i know a couple of doctors who work at the hospital, not the clinic, but they have high success rates.
    good luck!
    you could also check out my clinic in NJ. my doc has a reputation of getting even menopausal (which im not saying you are) women pregnant.
    www.ccivf.com
    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. This report sounds really good! Hoping for more good news today! I am not sure where you should do DE, but considering R's experience with huge numbers of great-quality blasts, if you can swing it I would consider using CCRM!

    ReplyDelete