Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's a numbers game

We got our fertilization report this morning. The phone woke us up, so I was a little groggy at first. But I'm glad we didn't have to wait around all morning to get the news. Anyway, out of the 12 eggs retrieved, 6 were mature. They did the ICSI procedure on those 6 (that's where they actually inject one sperm right into the egg, for those of you who aren't already expert in this stuff...) and 5 of them fertilized. There were 3 more eggs that matured in the lab over night (one of the many tricks they have up their sleeves at the wonderful CCRM lab) so they will be ICSIed today I think. And then there are the remaining eggs that they will check on later today to see if they have also matured in the lab, but I'm not so hopeful for them since they weren't matured 24 hours after retrieval. So now we wait for the Day 3 report. I'm hoping that we will have a good number of them being in the 7 to 8 cell range, which is the optimal cell growth for Day 3. (Normally an embryo will be 4 cells on Day 2, then double to 8 cells on Day 3.) As I think I said before on our last cycle, we only had one that was at 8 cells on Day 3 (and a number of others that were slower), and that was the only one that made it to blast. And turned out to be normal. So I just need to get through the next few days to see what they have to say on Saturday.

We leave for home tomorrow, so we have one more day to relax in Denver. I'm feeling pretty much fine today - just a little sore. We just went out to breakfast at the Original Pancake House (thanks to R. at Oneeggplease) and had an awesome meal. We had never heard of that place, even though it is apparently a chain. Very yummy! Now we are back at the hotel lounging around and trying to decide what to do with the day. The weather isn't so sunny, so no lounging by the pool. We mostly just want to relax. I'm feeling nervous about our results, but also somewhat calm because I know that we have a plan for moving forward. Despite what I said about wanting to maybe do another cycle with my eggs, I am slowly realizing that if this one doesn't work, my eggs really have reached the end of the road. Hearing about R's recent success with donor eggs (congrats!!) has made me feel much better about heading in that direction if necessary. As J. said, it is time to move on with our lives...

4 comments:

  1. Yay for five embryos and possibly a couple more! Enjoy your day of relaxation, I'm sure you can come up with something fun to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't have to wait around all day for the call, and at least five embies is great! Have fun during your last day in Denver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep holding on to the fact that you had one day 3 make it to blast and it was NORMAL. I am going to think great thoughts for you.

    What did you eat at the OHOP? They have the craziest pancake options there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a note to say that we wish you both all the best with this cycle. Hope you enjoyed your last day here and have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete