Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Um...did we or didn't we?

Get the donor we just picked, that is. I had it narrowed down to three, and my nurse agreed that they were the three closest matches. We had the same first choice and J. also agreed. But we felt it was too fast - I mean, we just started looking today. But the nurse had told me there was someone else looking at our first choice, and they were serious. So I called my dad to ask him some medical questions about one of our choices (not the top pick) and he really helped me go ahead and go for it. He said that if we had already made the decision to go with donor egg, what else were we waiting for? Was there anything wrong with the donor we liked? No. What did we think we would find that was better by waiting? Nothing. So why not go for it? As he said, you always think you are going to find a closer parking space, but you really should just go ahead and park. So we went for it. We clicked on it together on my computer. I refreshed the page beforehand to make sure she was still available, and then we clicked, agreed to the terms of service, or whatever, and clicked "submit". Got an error message. Went back to the donor page and it now said that she was not available. So did we get her? Or did someone beat me to her by a matter of 10 seconds? I had to put in my email info, so I thought maybe I'd get a confirmation, like you do at Amazon when you buy a book. But nothing. I wrote to my nurse to find out, but I have a feeling they are gone for the day. So I will have to wait to find out for sure.

I can't believe that this morning we didn't even have access to the site yet and tonight we already chose someone. Are we being too rash, or is my dad right? And did we really get our parking space?

6 comments:

  1. Oh I so hope that she isn't available because you chose her. Keeping my fingers crossed that you will get some info tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think of all this sounds VERY promising!! I hope you got the donor, it sounds like it...I'll keep checking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope you got her. We lost out on a few donors and it was such a frustrating and devastating process so I hope it goes smoother for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so nervous for you too!! I really hope you got her too. Question...do the donor nurses compare your picture with the donor's picture when you've narrowed it down to a few donors? Just curious...

    If you did get her, don't worry that she was "picked" on the first day...once you know you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Lisa, they have access to current pictures of the donors, so they give their opinion about who is the best physical match. My nurse put them in order, and her top three picks matched mine, and were even in the same order of preference. Of course that is just physical match and there are so many other things to consider. It just happened that our best physical match also had a very clean health history, which was most important to us. Unfortunately she is not a proven donor, which I'm a little unhappy about, but she is very, very young, which I'm hoping is a good thing. And she seems very mature and responsible for her age, so I'm really hoping she won't flake out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Cassie for the info...really hoping the donor is confirmed for you and that she won't back out. So nerve wracking...this will likely be me next week as our Psych consult is 8:30 AM on June 28th.

    ReplyDelete