Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Getting close

Well, as far as I'm concerned, we are all set and ready to move on to choosing a donor. I have done all the things I needed to do this week: sonohystogram on Monday (check!), psych consult on Tuesday (check!), follow-up over the phone with Dr. Famous on Wednesday (check!). I promptly wrote to my nurse to tell her I'm all set, so now I'm just waiting for the password. I've already started scoping out the donor database, because you can see limited information about the donors without having the password. I've got 15 possibilities with my hair color. I'm trying to remember my high school biology class, but it seems to me that it doesn't really matter what eye color we go with because everyone on J's side of the family has brown eyes and that should trump anything else, right? I have brown eyes too, as does everyone in my family, so it would be a little strange to have a blue-eyed baby, but I just don't think that would be very likely. Any genetics experts out there?

The conversation with the therapist from CCRM last night was really helpful. It was a pretty intense conversation with her asking a lot of questions and also giving some very useful advice. I was pretty emotional after the hour-long phone call. But also excited. And then I spoke to my doctor today and he said there is no reason we can't get started as soon as we want to, and that he would "light a fire" under the donor team to make it happen as fast as we wanted it to. It all comes down to choosing a donor. Of course I am more than aware that roadblocks can come up at any point. I have learned a lot from R's trials and tribulations, and just pray that I don't have a donor who backs out on me. But as I've said before, I know I need to not get hung up on my tentative mid-to-end of August timeline. It just might not happen. But it would be really nice to start the school year off with everything taken care of.

I need to also be starting to look for apartments for us if we are indeed planning on moving to Manhattan in August. And we are planning on it. It is just such a daunting task and I'm a little freaked out about it. But right now I am obsessed with getting that password and choosing a donor, so that might just have to be my number one priority for this week.

8 comments:

  1. I really hope that password comes today. Fingers crossed. When I was looking for a donor in October, it was really intense. We found one, wanted to contact ccrm to discuss some of the profile and then when we went to accept, she was taken! This happened twice for us. Then I got smart. I researched all the health things that would be deal breakers so that once I found someone, I could just move on it.

    If you have any questions, let me know. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got the password! I'm off to start shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh - it doesn't work! Just had to write her back. And once you decide you want someone, how do you let them know? I thought I remembered you saying there is a button right there on the site that you can click to reserve someone - is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got some of your to-dos checked off, and I hope you get your password soon! Maybe we can meet up somehow for lunch or something if your mid- to end-of-August timeline works out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it says "click to accept the donor"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cassie,

    Thanks for the info about your Psych Consult. We've got ours scheduled for Monday, June 28th. Then I think we can start donor selection too. I've got a routine physical/pap scheduled for the 14th and I hope they don't make me wait until those results get in otherwise it will be August until I could start. Grr...so sick of waiting but at the same time so used to it!! I'll be interested to hear of your selection experiences. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck choosing! I am sure that is a very exciting step--I'm impressed with out quickly you're checking things off your list!

    ReplyDelete