Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pre-transfer shopping

It's a must, right? I really don't have any business spending money right now, with the amount we just dropped on this cycle, but I couldn't resist a little back-to-school shopping. First of all, the shuttle here took me down for my chiropractic appointment, on his way to drop another lovely woman off at CCRM for her appointment, so I made a friend in the van. The driver was able to swing back by and pick me up, and drop me off at the mall. I was going to walk to the mall, but after my long walk yesterday, it was nice to get a ride. I did plenty of walking in the mall and then walked back.

So, what did I buy? I always have the dilemma of trying to break out of my comfort zone and get things that are a little more interesting. I was looking for gray pants for work, and actually ended up getting a really cute pair of gray corduroy jeans instead. They are really comfy. I also got a sparkly cardigan (I am the queen of cardigans - I must have at least 20) and an amazingly adorable silky dress that was a complete surprise. It is really brightly colored in a funky pattern that looks like Pucci but is much more affordable. It is a v-neck and a bit of an empire waist, but then nice and full below to cover up my cycling weight - I feel great in it. I'm not really sure where I'll wear it - it's not for work. But it will be great for a date night in Manhattan - you always have to have a great little dress available for a spontaneous night in the city.

But the one purchase that I am now a little doubtful about is a messenger bag I got for work. I was actually just looking for a laptop bag to take home with me now, as I want to make sure everything will fit in my suitcase (as was going to put the laptop in my suitcase and carry it on...) They had an adorable laptop bag in the same design, but I talked myself into the bigger messenger bag because it will be good for commuting by public transportation once I start teaching again and have to lug things to and fro. I really love the pattern on it, but now that I have brought it back (and cut the tags off - I lugged all my loot back in it), I am worried that it looks more like a diaper bag than a messenger bag. It is definitely not a diaper bag, but the pattern sort of makes it look like one. (Yes, I guess I could use it in my ideal future as a diaper bag, but right now I don't want to look like I thought a diaper bag was a messenger bag.) So, here is what it looks like (it's by Fossil, and the photo is from their site - that's not me!) - what do you think? And do you think it can be used in winter too? Now that I'm looking at the colors, it seems a little summery...



I'm not sure why I'm second-guessing myself so much, and there isn't anything I can do about it now...it will at least help me make the trip home. (Although, it will be awfully busy-looking with my new striped suitcase! The colors are somewhat compatible though...)

So now I am relaxing in my room after my shopping adventure. I am going to meet my new CCRM friend for dinner and I'll find out if she is online. I don't recognize her as any of my current online friends. It is so strange how infertility brings us together from all over the place, with the common goal that we share. It's like we are part of a special club. Unfortunately, not an exclusive club, or an enviable one, but a club nonetheless.

8 comments:

  1. I like the bag and I don't think it looks like a diaper bag! I love colors so I like the funky design. Nothing like some retail therapy...have a great dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cassie - I like the blog renovation and the bag! I think you have good taste. I just wanted to wish you well tomorrow with your transfer! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for splurging on yourself today. The messenger bag is super cute and I don't think it looks like a diaper bag at all. I love your blog renovation--great choice! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow & sending you tons of sticky vibes. I hope this is it for you!!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the bag! Yay for shopping and a dinner date, can't wait to hear all about your new friend. GOOD LUCK for tomorrow, I will send you lots of good vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely not a diaper bag, but perfect for a teacher. Glad you found another CCRMer and hope that you both have a nice conversation.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the bag (and did you notice it looks nice with your new blog look too?). I think happy prints are good for winter especially, when the weather is dreary. I always did more shopping there than I should - the big mall, the outlet mall, there is just so much to browse!

    Thinking of you today!!! 1:15pm!!! Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you all the very best today Cassie!!! So great to talk to you last night and feeling extremely optimistic for you today. Let the good times roll xxx PS: LOVE the shopping

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely don't think it looks like a diaper bag--it's cute! Hope things are going well today and glad you met a new friend! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete